Monday, July 1, 2013

The Colosseum

On 6/8, I got up early and headed over to the Colosseum with a friend.  The night before, we bought our tickets online for two euros extra, which was definitely worth it when we got to skip the throngs of people crowded around the entrance to the ticket office.  The massive columns walking in were a preview to the entrance, which was absolutely breathtaking.  Looking into the pit of alleyways and and ancient archways where the gladiators stayed before their battles was unreal.  I walked around both levels of the building, which could be reached via ancient steps.  These same steps were the ones walked by ticket-holders for gladiator fights, which I tried to picture as I looked around at this Wonder of the World.  This structure was one of my favorite sites so far in Italy, even if it did get very crowded towards mid-afternoon.  I suggest going in the morning with online tickets for a relatively uncrowded, pleasant experience.
This panoramic shot was taken from the top floor of the Colosseum.  

Looking in to the ancient archways and alleys


Enjoying this still-standing Wonder of the World

No comments:

Post a Comment