Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Florence

On Friday (5/31), I took a 7:30 train to Florence, my favorite place that I have visited thus far.  We got to the city around 9:30, and, upon making our way out of the train station, accidentally stumbled upon the San Lorenzo leather market just as it was opening for the morning.  The bold, pungent smell of leather permeated the alleyways as vendors did their best to get me to stop and try on jackets, hats, and lambskin bags.  I bargained and haggled for a leather jacket, and got a few thin leather bracelets, all with the official Firenze stamp.  The group I was traveling with checked into our hostel, "The Academy" hostel, which I would highly recommend to anyone.  There was free wifi, breakfast, tapas, and clean beds with a towel provided, all just a block away from the Duomo.  After dropping my stuff off at the hostel, I climbed the Duomo with friends, all 463 steps!




Then, I stood in line for only about a half an hour for the Accademia, which houses Michaelangelo's David, carved in Carrara marble and standing over five meters tall.  I stared at that statue for about 30 minutes; it was mind-boggling that at just 26 years of age, Michaelangelo carved that statue using one block of neglected marble.  

For dinner, I had Florentine steak with arugula, and it was absolutely amazing.  The small, hole-in-the-wall restaurant seated a small number of people, all of which were locals besides us.  I went back to the hostel afterwards and went to bed after walking around the beautiful city all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment