Friday, June 7, 2013

Post-Exam Cappuccino and Cookies

After taking my aesthetics midterm this afternoon on the strange and misogynist musings of Kant and Schopenhauer, I needed a caffeine break.  In Rome, this issue can be fairly easily assuaged...just a quick walk down the hill of my Balduina neighborhood, and the smell of coffee and Nutella is everywhere.  I decided on the inconspicuous Corner Bar, where I decided on cappuccino and a vanilla wafer dipped in dark chocolate and rolled in hazelnuts.  I spent the rest of the afternoon sipping my beverage and reading up on the best way to get access to Coliseum tickets, all the while stopping to stare at all the dogs that were being walked. 

To note: Romans love their pets.  I have seen so many different types of dogs in the last two weeks...Bernese Mountain dogs, Italian greyhounds (for obvious reasons), and probably at least thirty to forty Yorkies, all of which are much smaller and cuter than their American counterparts.  Old men even put sweaters on their bulldogs--that's pet owner dedication. 

I am about to leave for the Trastevere neighborhood to grab a quick drink and some appetizers, and find dinner later, then off early in the morning for the Coliseum before it gets too crowded!

Tip: The Metro blue train line has a stop that drops you off right by the Coliseum--super convenient, and I've noticed that almost no tourists use the train.  For 1.50 euro, that's cheaper than taking a taxi for a Roman block!

No comments:

Post a Comment